Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

Getting "jammed" with Green Tomatoes

Add caption

Chopping the green tomatoes.
This growing season for tomatoes was a very interesting one. It is wonderful to extend the tomato season, but sometimes your just done. We always pick a few tomatoes early because we actually love fried green tomatoes. If your like us you can only eat so many fried green tomatoes. And before you just rip that tomato plant up and toss it to the chickens. You may want to try this.

Adding sugar.
I let it sit for 3- 5 hours
covered to let juices release.
I had never heard of green tomato jam until I was walking the dogs the other day. An older gentleman neighbor joined me on my walk. I just love older people they always have so many interesting stories about everything. He asked me if I make Green Tomato Jam. 

We I returned it looked
bubbly and juicy.
I admitted I had never heard of it. We finished our walk and departed our ways. You know what I did next: yup - I googled it! Wow, so many variations of this old-tyme jam.

Here is the recipe I came up with using
what I had on hand:

Green Tomato Jam Recipe

Added chopped seed removed lemons.
20 cups of chopped tomatoes
5 cups of sugar
2 chopped and seeded lemons (leave peels on)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
pectin

We like this jam. It is savory and sweet. It is very different.
Cook and can
like your other favorite jams.


Added 1/4 cup of lemon juice.









There is also a recipe I found that
uses raspberry Jello I might try.  I'll let you 
know. 

I am so grateful to that 
gentleman 
for that small mention.

Have you ever learned a cool thing from an older, wiser person and tried it with success?

Share and comment. I'd love to hear it!




No comments:

Post a Comment