Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, August 4, 2014

Potato Eater!

Today is the feast day of one of my favorite saints. I have to say "one of" because I have many favorites. But this simple country boy turned priest holds a special place in my heart.  This young boy who worked hard with his family on a farm, while hoping one day to become a priest. It sort of looked hopeless for him, his family had no money and he was not very smart. But he became a priest and an amazing one at that. I am writing about St. John Vianney or the Cure of Ars. 
 
St. John-Baptiste-Marie Vianney (1786-1859),
popularly known as the Cure of Ars. He was
a paster (cure) at Ars, a small farmers' village
about 20 miles north of Lyons, France from
1818 till his death in 1859. His incorrupt
body reposes over one of the altars in the
Basilica at Ars. 

As I was reflecting this morning on some aspects of his life; I thought about how the devil would torment this poor little priest. He worked closely with Jesus to save many souls. He lived as a humble servant of God and gave much.  The devil did not like this. He called him "Potato eater" and would taunt him with that name for that is all the poor little priest would eat. 

Potato eater. . . a funny thing to reflect on I know. Why did I find myself reflecting on this insult from satan? Because what was an insult from satan, in my mind has turned into a term of endearment for my saint friend. I am proud of him. He was so  holy and simple he would just enjoy the plainness of the potato. I suddenly appreciated not only all the great things he did, or all the souls he saved, but his simplicity. 

Me standing next to one of our potato towers.
I have read many books about him and his sermons, but I still have much to learn from him. "Another bad habit which is very common in homes and among working people is impatience, grumbling, and swearing. . . . what is even worse, you lose all the merit which you might have gained for Heaven." excerpt from The Sermons of The Cure of Ars.

That is just it! I spend so much time complaining about things gone wrong on this little homestead. . . I forget the simple things about it that can make me grow closer to God. With all these thoughts I decided to check on my sad little potato plants out in the garden. No matter what they faired St. John Vianney and God would be with me. 

In the past we have not had much success with potatoes. The plants would grow beautifully and then the mice or other creatures would eat and run. This year we made potato towers with chicken wire on the bottom. The plants have been looking great. The potatoes are not fully ready to harvest, but I just had to take a look. What a surprise I beheld with some great looking potatoes. It looks like we will have a wonderful potato harvest this year! 
Our little tribute to our favorite saint.

As I eat the potatoes from our labor I will think about all the lessons I have learned from my saint friend. I will ask for his intercessions for this homestead. I will pray, work hard and try to live more simple knowing that God loves Potato eaters!






1 comment:

  1. Mickie...I'm so happy you have a blog and I can follow you! I think of you often! Your soaps are beautiful. I also have a blog (that I haven't updated since new baby). Mainly about our homeschooling...for the grammar, but check it out. Best part is you and I have the same background ! Love that! Www.knitinmywomb.blogspot.com

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete