Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Importance of Thinning Out and Diligence

 I know I can stand to lose a few pounds, okay more than a few, but I'm not posting about dieting today. I'm sharing a lessoned learned with all of you.

Thinning out means when in the earlier stages of your plant (seedling stage) you give your little plant more room to grow big. You can cut the seedlings that are too close or pull them out so you have them spaced better. I knew this was important but didn't realize how important. I mean it is really hard to yank or cut your little plants when they just started growing. It is easy with kale or other greens cause they are microgreens at this point. Microgreens are a delicacy. You can just toss them in salads. 

But during the spring when my carrots were just wee seedlings. . . I thinned out one section but got lazy and left the other section. I rationalized my laziness by thinking I was growing more carrots. And besides isn't it wasting to just toss them in compost. Yeah, I know I could of fed them to the goats or chickens. Repeat  . . . lazy . . . it was hot that day . . .
Lesson learned and here is my proof. 

Now see photo. You don't have to be a gardener, green thumb or a rocket scientist to see which carrot came from the not-thinned-out row and which came from the thinned-out row. 

Overall my carrot harvest was pretty good . . . but it could have been better will just a little more effort. Homestead lesson learned.

The slack hand impoverishes, but the hand of the diligent enriches. Proverbs 10:4

No comments:

Post a Comment