Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

Brusha, brusha, brusha Making Homemade Toothpaste



I have been making our own toothpaste on our homestead since before we even lived here. Making your own toothpaste is one of the easiest, cheap and healthiest things you can do for yourself and family. 

I did a lot of research and many trial and error batches to find the best toothpaste recipe for our family. I wanted to add the right ingredients. Coconut oil and peppermint oil for antibacterial properties, bentonite clay and sea salt for adding calcium and minerals to our teeth. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda for whitening. My family wanted just the right texture and flavor. Stevia, glycerin and castille soap gave the toothpaste the bubbles and sweetness they were used to in regular toothpaste. 

The 9 Ingredients for making
Sanctae Familiae Villa Toothpaste
I am still on the look out for the right tube to fill, it tends to clog regular size holes, but for now we use our little mason jars. Here is our recipe and the basic steps, but I encourage you to find your own ingredients and do your own trial and error batches to find what works best for you and your family.





Add all dry ingredients first.




Sanctae Familiae Villa Toothpaste

4 teaspoons calcium bentonite clay
4 Tablespoons Stevia powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (mine is gray)
1 teaspoon liquid castille soap
2 teaspoons vegetable glycerin
2 teaspoons coconut oil (melted)
1 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
22 drops of peppermint essential oil



Measure coconut oil and melt. If it is warm enough and the
coconut oil is already soft then just add it.
Then add all wet ingredients.
Stir with a spatula until smooth and scrape into jar. 
Looks great.
Now I just need to brush.
Showing off her pearly whites.




5 comments:

  1. Do you buy your calcium bentonite clay powdered? And from where do you buy? I want to start making our own toothpaste again.

    Looking forward to the post about homemade shampoo.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a powder. This container was purchased at the Willimantic Food Co-op. It is also available online from bulk apothecary. I do hope you start making your own toothpaste again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sharing about how to making natural whitening toothpaste at home. I also try to make toothpaste at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James,
    Thanks for reading my blog and for your feed back. I ran out of my homemade toothpaste and was too lazy to make a new batch . . . used a store bought tube. Then I truly realized how much more my family and myself loved my homemade toothpaste. I will never get lazy again. Some how my teeth feel much cleaner using the homemade toothpaste. I am glad to hear you also make your own toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good post, i definitely really like this fabulous website natural toothpaste without fluoride

    ReplyDelete